[offlineimap] support for accepting invalid certificates (#171)

phavx notifications at github.com
Mon Feb 16 15:06:18 GMT 2015

Personally I don't care that much what's in my config, I'd just add a comment reminding me why it's there. I just saw it as unusual to go that route as other clients offer the option to accept a cert and just continue on with the work.

As we all know, the SSL system is broken on so many systems anyway, mostly in terms of trust, it imho doesn't really hurt to give people that option, especially people having not that much knowledge. If those people trust their provider, it's still better to accept a cert of this kind than to turn SSL off completly, imho.

Granted, those people probably aren't that much of a target group for offlineimap, still I think a solution or at least a hint for a work around should be given(after all, it took me quite some time to figure out the problem). I don't know how much work it would be to implement accepting certificates like this, an alternative might be a note in the documentation, something like "if you are on shared webhosting and get a SSL error domain not found in certificate, find out the real server and enter that into your config".

---
https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/171#issuecomment-74521465