My WIP on Unicode

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Tue Feb 10 22:46:41 GMT 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:31:29PM -0500, Isaac Bennetch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On 2/10/15 7:17 AM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> > Supporting Unicode is much harder than what it seems. The main reasons
> > are:
> > - Python 2.X sucks with Unicode;
>
> Thanks for your research and work. Does Python 3 handle this better;
> would it be easier to implement if you only targeted Python 3? If that's
> true, I would consider that a reasonable compromise in order to add
> decent Unicode support, if it makes development that much easier.

This is something I've seriously considered but we have to think large
to not hurt too much.

I tend to believe that Python2 remains the only supported python version
in a lot of distributions (think large, with BSD*, etc). The other
problem is that Python2 is only part of the wall. I blam the current
code base and the libraries, too.

But yes, porting to Python3 _and_ cleaning the code base prior to
actually support Unicode is a real option.

Thanks for your support. :-)