<DKIM> Re:MS Office365 'IMAP' server

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Feb 23 12:27:35 GMT 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:40:54AM +0000, Richard Lewis wrote:

> Thanks for this suggestion. I don't have IPFW on Debian, but I tried
> this instead:

I did not think about playing with tc but this is a very interresting
approach.

> # create a new root queue
> $ sudo tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 2 htb default 1
>
> # create a new root class which defines the default rules, 1gbit
> $ sudo tc class add dev eth0 parent 2: classid 2:6 htb rate 1gbit
>
> # define a child class with the max speed we want
> $ sudo tc class add dev eth0 parent 2:6 classid 2:100d htb rate 200kbit

The problem is that htb will barrow unused parent's traffic with the
rate class.  You don't need the rate class but you should definetly play
with ceil (and cburst), instead.

You might want to use another node on your LAN to check the tc
behaviour with iperf or alike.

If this works, the best values can only be found empirically.

I'm insterrested by your results.