<DKIM> Exchange IMAP "BAD User is authenticated but not connected"

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Fri Jun 26 15:11:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:57:25AM +0100, Richard Lewis wrote:

> Of course, we have a helpdesk and when I asked them they decided it
> must be something do with my client caching an incorrect password. I'm
> not very convinced about this. For one thing, I've never supplied
> offlineimap with an incorrect password.

OfflineIMAP will cache the password and try it with different
authentication mechanisms (from strongest to weakest) at each connection
as defined by the configuration option.

> But does anyone know if it's even possible that offlineimap *could*
> cache a password, correct or not?

One account is associated one password only.

> My previous problem with O365 IMAP has been that it appears to
> throttle connection speeds. It used to intermittently refuse to
> authenticate when I was on my university's ethernet network (with ping
> time to the server of <10ms) but was always successful on wifi
> networks or my home ADSL. I'm wondering whether this newer error
> message may be another maifestation of the same problem?
>
> (I've noticed this error message mentioned on the Web as being
> described as a security bug (because you can take advantage of it to
> brute force username/password guessing I think). But it's also
> mentioned that it was fixed years ago.)

I remember it was discussed here before. We've come to the point that tc
might help but we didn't get definitive successful feedbacks.

Another workaround would be to use a
Microsoft-illegal-protocol-compatible proxy.