Active waiting?

Alvaro G. M. alvaro.gamez at hazent.com
Mon Mar 23 15:08:57 UTC 2015

On Mon Mar 23 15:53:30 2015 Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 01:01:12PM +0100, Alvaro Gamez wrote:
> > What a pity :(
> > If there's anything I can research on this to improve offlineimap
> > please let me know in which direction.
>
> This is a known issue but nobody looked into this deeply.
>
>     https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/81
>
> We need to know which Python code is to blame, whether it's in a library
> or in our code. With more information we will clearly see if we can do
> something or not.

I'll try to look around, I may be able to find something, although I'm not very experienced with python.

> Also, I would expect less problems with Python3. This development course
> will start in April and any help is welcome. ,-)

And much less able with Python3, I'm afraid.

> I'm curious why don't you use more standard IMAP client on your mobile.
> They are more tested on such devices and have all the fancy
> interfaces/features IMAP users could expect.

Oh, you missed the part on which I talked about my phone. It's a N900 running Maemo, thus no Android and a pretty bad mail client. It doesn't support IDLE, is very slow with medium-sized mailboxes, etc.

I use offlineimap IDLE functionality to download new mail as soon as the server receives it, and then send a dbus signal to modest (N900 imap client) so it can access my local IMAP folder through a dovecot instance running on the phone and immediately update and notify me a new message has arrived.

offlineimaps serves as a filter (chooses which labels/folders I want to see on my phone, I can order it not to download too big emails when on 3G, etc), so modest has only access to a pretty small maildir so its use is bearable.

It sounds much more complicated that it really is and save the increased CPU consumption it works pretty well, given the circumstances; although what I'd really like is a good mail client that integrates well with Maemo, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Best regards :)