<DKIM> Yet another UID validity problem

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Thu Mar 26 17:24:07 UTC 2015

-------- Paste

> I have had a UID related problem and followed instructions found at
> OfflineIMAP's FAQ: 1.1.5 What is the UID validity problem for folder?. I erased
> the local folder in question (INBOX).

When I read "delete" or "erase", I naturally translate this to "archive" or
"move". This way of writing documentation online just allows more
straightforward instructions.

Since it might not be obvious, I'll update the FAQ in this direction.

>                                       I guess I did something very wrong (e.g.
> forgot to erase the cache file(s)) and I've lost many e-mails

Not sure what happened.

A deleted folder in the Maildir should get "ignored", actually. This is to
prevent from wrong manipulations when working locally. This is not the same
thing that removeing the _content_ of the directory which then will reflect the
changes, IOW remove all known messages on the remote.

>                                                               -- that is, they
> never got re-downloaded from the remote mailbox in to the local one. (Updated)
> And, they were not present in the remote repository as well! The attempt to
> sync, after erasing the local folder, ended up in erasing the material from the
> remote location as well.
>
> (Updated) In ~/.offlineimaprc, the option createfolders = False and a commented
> line #readonly=true, were set to the section the corresponds to the remote
> repository.

I'm not aware of issues with readonly not doing what it pretends.

> Fortunately, I keep a second local maildir in another computer, which I synced
> (very) recently. This may be used as a backup to restore the lost material up
> to the remote repository.

Good.

> How can I force a one-way syncing from the "backup" local-repository to the
> remote repository? Are the options createfolders and readonly useful in this
> case?

Make yet another archive to prevent any data loss. The way to proceed is the
one I described in the post you're pointing below.

I'll write more documentation about that, too.

-------- /Paste

<...>

> I have found and read a very relevant post:
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/6634>.
> However, I'd like to confirm my understanding of how things (will) work.

To confirm your understanding, write us what you've understood!

> Of course, the manual contains all of the bits (?), but still, wouldn't
> make sense to have some generic approach in the FAQ on what to do when a
> user reads "UID validity problem for folder INBOX"? Something very
> clean, step-by-step, like in Nicolas Sebrech's post?

Yes, I'll do that.