Active waiting?

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Mar 23 14:53:30 GMT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 01:01:12PM +0100, Alvaro Gamez wrote:
>    What a pity :(
>    If there's anything I can research on this to improve offlineimap
>    please let me know in which direction.

This is a known issue but nobody looked into this deeply.

  https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/81

We need to know which Python code is to blame, whether it's in a library
or in our code. With more information we will clearly see if we can do
something or not.

Also, I would expect less problems with Python3. This development course
will start in April and any help is welcome. ,-)

>    And you don't see this possible at all, would you happen to know about
>    a similar project to offlineimap which supports IDLE and does sleep
>    without consuming CPU?

OfflineIMAP was designed to dispose a remote mailbox locally in the
Maildir format. Because of the disk consumption it implies, we never
attracted embedded or mobile users.

I won't expect this will change any time soon but who knows. Anyway, I
think the best approach would be to write a android service that will
start a full OfflineIMAP run without IDLE like cron would do. This
should be more baterry friendly while still not ideal.

I'm curious why don't you use more standard IMAP client on your mobile.
They are more tested on such devices and have all the fancy
interfaces/features IMAP users could expect.