OSX sslcacertfile and GMail (Basic help)

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue May 19 08:45:55 BST 2015

Lucien Pullen <drurowin at gmail.com> writes:

> Also sprach Rainer M Krug on 2015-05-19:
>> I don't have much knowledge of all these security issues, but as far as
>> I know, the certificates are already in the keychain? Or are they there,
>> because they have been downloaded by Safari browser before?
>
> I don't use Safari, but on both computers I have access to Google's
> intermediate CA is not present in the keychain... at least not the two
> in /System/Library/Keychains/ (these correspond to the "System Roots" in
> Keychain Access).  On both computers, my login keychain also doesn't
> contain the CA.  I'm not sure about the other person's account (who does
> use Safari).

The directory looks on my computer as follow:

,----
`----

> Having to use Safari in order for the certificate to be present in the
> keychain is not quite ideal, thus my question of having offlineimap take
> care of fetching the dependent CA.

I don't know - if to let offlineimap fetch the certificates would result
i duplication of the certificates in the keychain, it would not be a
disadvantage and to let the user fetch the certificate would be the
better solution (as Safari is installed, it would be a minor
inconvenience - if one has to use Mail, it would be a problem). But if
offlineimap would add a missing certificate in such a way that It will
be used by other applications as well in the "OSX way of doing things",
that would be perfect.

Cheers,

Rainer

> (From what I could tell, Certificate Assistant also could not
> automatically resolve the missing certificate, so I believe that Safari
> is installing it because it needs it, not because the security subsystem
> is taking care of things.)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44