<DKIM> Emails might go to GMail's SPAM folder

Raphaël raphael.droz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:08:45 GMT 2016

Just got a new reply to the ticket from Laposte.net:

> Bonsoir
> Après vérification, les modifications des Mailing-list ne s'arrêtent
> pas à l'ajout d'un pied de page, le contrôle DKIM seul échoue
> forcément.
> La mise en place de DMARC ne résoud pas cette question. Il faut donc
> ajouter une spécification supplémentaire comme ARC.
==
> hi,
> mailing-list not only change footer. DKIM control alone, always fails
> DMARC does not get to the point. Another spec' is needed, like ARC

It leads to various interpretations and conclusions.

But since they didn't added an example to their answer we're restricted
to hypothesis about what parts of the email they are annoyed to lose
control for (and to wait for this brand new draft RFC to punch some
holes in this current blacklist-him-by-default policy)

It also proves that in the future, email providers will bring
mailing-list MTA in the validation-responsability/party.
Issue: I want to receive my email, even old-school unvalidated ones
Answer: ensure your ML implements ARC-validation

But one point against Gmail possibly following blindly DMARC is in the
"2.3. Utility" section of the ARC RFC:
> [ARC] information can assist in determining any local
> policy overrides to for violations of sender domain authentication
> policies.

what seems to spell like:
> "Gmail is allowed to override Laposte.net "dmarc==fail => SPAM" using a "local policy override".
(although I didn't find a case for "local policy override" in DKIM RFC6376)

++

--
GPG id: 0xF41572CEBD4218F4