OfflineImapError: IMAP server ... does not have a message with UID '15541'

Tomas Nordin tomasn at posteo.net
Sun Jan 24 21:05:28 UTC 2016

Nicolas Sebrecht writes:

> It seems there's really a mail with UID 15541. Try fetching this one
> alone. OfflineIMAP is doing something like
>
>   tagx FETCH 15541 ('BODY.PEEK[]')

Sorry for the spamming, but it appears I have solved the problem by
manually deleting the message 15541. Here is the openssl session snippet
for deleting it.

a02 select INBOX
* 1234 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft $MDNSent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft $MDNSent)] Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 1045] Is the first unseen message
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 14] UIDVALIDITY value
* OK [UIDNEXT 16133] The next unique identifier value
a02 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed.
a03 fetch 1045 (uid)
* 1045 FETCH (UID 15541)
a03 OK FETCH completed.
a04 uid fetch 15541 (uid flags)
* 1045 FETCH (UID 15541 FLAGS ())
a04 OK FETCH completed.
a05 store 1045 +flags (\Deleted)
* 1045 FETCH (FLAGS (\Deleted))
a05 OK STORE completed.
a06 fetch 1045 (uid)
* 1045 FETCH (UID 15541)
a06 OK FETCH completed.
a07 expunge
* 1045 EXPUNGE
* 1233 EXISTS
a07 OK EXPUNGE completed.
a08 fetch 1040:1050 (uid)
* 1040 FETCH (UID 15500)
* 1041 FETCH (UID 15507)
* 1042 FETCH (UID 15514)
* 1043 FETCH (UID 15516)
* 1044 FETCH (UID 15523)
* 1045 FETCH (UID 15544)
* 1046 FETCH (UID 15545)
* 1047 FETCH (UID 15553)
* 1048 FETCH (UID 15561)
* 1049 FETCH (UID 15562)
* 1050 FETCH (UID 15585)
a08 OK FETCH completed.
a09 logout
* BYE Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 IMAP4 server signing off.
a09 OK LOGOUT completed.

Now try offlineimap and see what happens:

$ offlineimap
OfflineIMAP 6.6.1
  Licensed under the GNU GPL v2 or any later version (with an OpenSSL exception)
*** Processing account kth
Establishing connection to webmail.kth.se:993
Syncing Drafts: IMAP -> Maildir
Syncing INBOX: IMAP -> Maildir
Syncing Sent: IMAP -> Maildir
Copy message -1 (1 of 1) local_kth:Sent -> remote_kth
*** Finished account 'kth' in 0:02
*** Processing account posteo
Establishing connection to posteo.de:993
Syncing Drafts: IMAP -> Maildir
Syncing INBOX: IMAP -> Maildir
Copy message 502 (1 of 1) remote_posteo:INBOX -> local_posteo
Syncing Sent: IMAP -> Maildir
Adding flag S to 2 messages on INBOX
*** Finished account 'posteo' in 0:02

No more error reported!

It felt OK for me to delete this mail since it seem to come from the
server itself, so it can not have been important, right?

Those places has been helpful during this jorney:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html
http://seeit.org/2010/01/31/debug-your-imap-server-with-telnet/

The openssl command:

    openssl s_client -connect webmail.example.com:993 -crlf

Without the last -crlf it did not work for me. It had to be enforced.