problem upgrading from offlineimap 6.3.4 to 6.6.1

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Wed Jan 20 16:44:24 GMT 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 01:56:24PM +0100, francois at avalenn.eu wrote:

> Package: offlineimap
> Version: 6.6.1+dfsg1-1
> Severity: normal

Thanks for your feedbacks.

> I think that the problem comes from the use of nametrans in
> visiblename for Maildir folder (commit
> 6b2ec956cfe8e356d3ffd54eee34773deb73279f) because it lead to change
> the FMD5 part of the filename.

Looks sensible. This is a change introduced in the late 2011 and I don't
remember everything from this time. I don't recall having to either
use/provide any script for updates nor having the troubles you get.

> I would like a way for offlineimap to either upgrade concerned
> Maildirs on the fly or to have a way to ensure that proper manual
> actions are done before using it. As offlineimap is often used in
> crontabs this must be done during upgrade of package.

I wonder if the big step foward from v6.3.4 to 6.6.1 (more than 4 years
of development) could be the cause. Since it's a long time between
releases, I wonder if temporary code to help moving forward could have
been introduced and then removed within this gap.

I'd be happy to apply a patch introducing the migrating script you
provided (something in ./contrib) in order to help other users, most
likely users of Debian.

Any blog post to offlineimap.org would be welcome, too. Your mail is
good enough to be more widely spread in the news. ,-)

Regards,