[GIT PULL] Make offlineimap works with Python3

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Tue May 10 00:12:37 BST 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 12:52:10AM +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 07:45:22PM +0200, Łukasz Żarnowiecki wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > Please review this change set which adds support for Python3 and
> > hopefully does not break Python2 compatibility.  It works for me, but it
> > might not work for every one.
>
> imaplib2 is comatible with Python 2 only. Piers released another file to
> support Python 3. We will have to import this other file and find a name
> for it. Someone else took the "imaplib3" namespace for something else.
> So, you might want something like "imaplib23.py".
>
> Since string changed with python 3, I'm expecting returned data types
> from imaplib2 (py3) to change, too.  This might introduce subtle bugs.

Forgot to mention that there is the growing imapfw which I intend to
replace offlineimap in the long term.

  https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/imapfw

I've started imapfw because of limitations from offlineimap codebase:

- full UTF-8 support with offlineimap is hard;
- Supporting both Python 2 and 3 might be hard;
- offlineimap becomes hard to maintain and fix (we have long pending
  bugs nobody could fix).

Basically, offlineimap is a (big) wrapper on top of imaplib2.

Cheers,