config for ideal setup?

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Thu Sep 29 00:10:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 05:22:06PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying and failing to get the right configuration for my
> ideal mail setup, which goes something like this:
>
>  * A daemon that starts up and connects to the IMAP server
>  * Starts listening for changes to the IMAP side via IDLE and the
>    Maildir side via inotify/fanotify

IDLE is supported while not fully stable. Syncing local changes
(Maildir) via inotify/fanotify/other is not supported.

>  * Scans existing Maildirs/IMAP folders and syncs them also while
>    simultaneously pushing changes from IMAP/Maildir to the other side

This is what offlineimap does by default once a sync for a folder is
triggered. Concurrency is achieved by using more than one connection.

>  * When scanning is done stays open and continues to push changes from
>    IMAP/Maildir to the other side

Not supported.

>  * Asynchronously runs mail indexing hooks in quiet periods

In IDLE mode, hooks are started for each new sync.

>  * When SIGTERM/etc are recieved, finishes off changes and exit.

Supported.

> Does offlineimap offer anything like this?
>
> For some other purposes I also want something like the save-and-delete
> POP3 but for IMAP. Is that available with offlineimap?

No. Offlineimap has been always considered a syncer. However, it's
possible to get this done by using a script outside of offlineimap. The
script has to move the new emails from the remote out of the maildir
handled by offlineimap.