Error when uploading to Gmail: reader socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> Too many read 0

Sean Hammond offlineimap-project at snhmnd.fastmail.com
Fri Sep 9 18:53:26 BST 2016

Hi, I'm having problem uploading a large local maildir to my gmail
account with offlineimap. It always gets to message 177 and then just
freezes. When I run it with -d imap,maildir,thread then a couple of the
last messages I see, before offlineimap stops doing anything and just
sits there, are:

imap.gmail.com reader socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> - Too
many read 0

and:

imap.gmail.com handler terminating: "socket error: <type
'exceptions.IOError'> - Too many read 0"

Any idea what the problem could be? Is the maildir folder simply too
big?

Thanks