Sync fails with offlineimap-7.1.0

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Mon May 1 21:29:28 UTC 2017

On Mon, 01 May 2017 14:09:34 -0700
Josiah Schwab <jschwab at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> > Traceback:
> >   File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 281, in syncrunner
> >     self.__sync()
> >
> > I tried downgrading to 7.0.14 again, but I get the same error with that version now. I
> > have no clue what happened here. I did a system update today, so it can also be a python
> > package that offlineimap depends on (most probably this is the root cause, because 7.0.14
> > does not work now).
> >
> > Any hints where to look first?
>
> It is possible that the system upgrade changed your python version from
> python 2.7 to python 3.4?  Something along those lines seems a potential
> culprit, as it would explain why 7.0.14 is also broken for you.
>
> Python3 support is experimental and there are known issues.
>
>   https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap#requirements--dependencies
>
> Hope that helps,
> Josiah

Hm, my python version was not updated, and I'm pretty sure that I have been using
offlineimap-7.0.14 with python3, since this is my default python version (but python2.7
and python 3.4 are installed on this system). However changing offlineimap to python2.7 I
get other strange errors which were not there with 7.0.14.
OfflineIMAP 7.1.0
  Licensed under the GNU GPL v2 or any later version (with an OpenSSL exception)
*** Processing account gmail
Establishing connection to imap.googlemail.com:993 (gmailremote)
XOAUTH2 authentication failed: AUTHENTICATE command error: BAD ['Client aborted AUTHENTICATE command. r7mb353432922edb']. Data: LPNC2 AUTHENTICATE XOAUTH2

PLAIN authentication failed: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)
LOGIN authentication failed: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)
ERROR: All authentication types failed:
        XOAUTH2: AUTHENTICATE command error: BAD ['Client aborted AUTHENTICATE command. r7mb353432922edb']. Data: LPNC2 AUTHENTICATE XOAUTH2

        PLAIN: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)
        LOGIN: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)
*** Finished account 'gmail' in 0:01
ERROR: Exceptions occurred during the run!
ERROR: All authentication types failed:
        XOAUTH2: AUTHENTICATE command error: BAD ['Client aborted AUTHENTICATE command. r7mb353432922edb']. Data: LPNC2 AUTHENTICATE XOAUTH2

        PLAIN: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)
        LOGIN: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)

Traceback:
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 281, in syncrunner
    self.__sync()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 344, in __sync
    remoterepos.getfolders()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/repository/IMAP.py", line 452, in getfolders
    imapobj = self.imapserver.acquireconnection()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py", line 556, in acquireconnection
    self.__authn_helper(imapobj)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py", line 431, in __authn_helper
    "failed:\n\t%s"% msg, OfflineImapError.ERROR.REPO)

Cheers
Andreas