[SOLVED] Re: Sync fails with offlineimap-7.1.0

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Tue May 2 09:31:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2 May 2017 11:27:07 +0200
Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 10:57:16AM +0200, Andreas Fink wrote:
>
> > It's working now again. After realizing that I have to use python2
> > and a magic shutdown, it works again. So I'm using now python2 with
> > v7.1.0 (as with 7.0.14) and apparently my system was in a strange
> > state after the update, which was resolved by a system reboot.
> > Sorry for the noise, everything fine again.
>
> > I wonder why gentoo decided to change from python2 to python3 as the
> > default python runtime for offlineimap, especially when it is known
> > not to work correctly. Nevermind that question though, since it's
> > not a problem of offlineimap itself...
>
> Happy to hear it works again. Thanks for the feedback.
>
> AFAIK, the default python version is set with
>
> $ eselect python

That's true, the default python version is still 3.4 on my PC, but when
you do an emerge you can set for offlineimap the single python
implementation that should be used by offlineimap. Here the default
value changed to 3.4 (maybe it was a global change, I'm not sure and
didn't check)...
So anybody on gentoo with a similar error can do a
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" emerge offlineimap
In my oppinion gentoo should not allow python3_4 for offlineimap if it
is know to break the setup.

Cheers
Andreas