<DKIM> Is it safe to start two offline instances?

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Mon Nov 6 21:11:49 UTC 2017

On 06Nov2017 00:09, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net> wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 09:36:49PM +0100, Pétùr wrote:
>> If it is safe, how can you would do it? I can obviously start a
>> terminal ("xfce4-terminal -e "offlineimap -o") but I don't want to see
>> a terminal window appears.

You could start the terminal window inconified. Xterm et al have a -iconic
option, not sure that the equivalent is for xfce4-terminal.

>> I guess power users of offlineimap as a proper solution for temporary
>> emails check.
>
>I guess most of the users open a terminal to manually start a run, yes.

You could start offlineimap in a tmux or screen session, detached.

For myself, I start a bunch of things inside nicely named tmux sessions. You
could use screen if that is your preference; I moved to tmux from screen a few
years ago. This has the advantage that one can reconnect to the session and
interrupt it, etc, versus your more traditional "run a daemon from cron or the
system rc files".

My ritual for this is to issue a command "tm start", which (a) uses my "tm"
convenience script and a ~/.tmrc file with session names and commands in it.
This starts a bunch of (detached) named sessions running useful stuff (mail
fetchers and so forth).

"tm" is here:

  https://bitbucket.org/cameron_simpson/css/src/tip/bin/tm

Some example entries from my own .tmrc file:

  GETMAIL -K 'cd var/log' -K rig-getmail
  HAPROXY -K 'svc start haproxy'
  MAILFILER -K 'cd var/log/mailfiler' -K 'mailfiler monitor -d 1'
  MONITOR_ROUTES -K 'set-route-flags --monitor'
  PORTFWD -K 'cd var/log/portfwd' -K 'tail -F portfwd-* &' -K 'portfwd -A &'
  SSHFS -K 'cd mnt' -K 'run-sshfs'

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> (formerly cs at zip.com.au)