<DKIM> Re: <DKIM> unified inbox in local repo

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Wed Jul 25 23:13:51 BST 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 09:53:51PM +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> offlineimap won't be updated to support Py3. We've tried. We've failed.
> More than once.
>
> offlineimap will die with the coming death of py2.
>
> Do you think this worth the efforts? I don't think so. I want to focus
> on imapfw ASAP (likely something like mid/end of 2019).

My answer might sound rude. Please, don't get me wrong. Everybody here
like offlineimap. I do. It has helped a lot for years. It still helps
a lot today.

I'd like you to be aware of my plan. Actually, I think this codebase is
not the right choice for the future. This is not without good reasons. I
don't intend to deprecate the tool in the near future but this day will
come.

I've realized we can't support the efforts that the code requires to
keep it alive for Py3. Even without the Py2 deadline it would be hard to
improve the current code nicely for the long run.

That's why I don't want to welcome hard changes without warnings. This
would consume (your) time (a lot) and this would not be fair nor
respectful to your commitment.

Regardless of my opinion, I'm delighted that you (and others BTW)
volunteer to introduce changes.

Regards,