Access mailbox from multiple devices – share offlineimap metadata folder with ownCloud?

Jorge jorge+list at disroot.org
Tue Mar 27 18:22:12 BST 2018

Hi.  I use OfflineIMAP 7.1.5+dfsg1-1 on an updated installation of Debian
buster.  I have configured it on my work desktop; my work e-mail account works
fine with notmuch-emacs.  My personal Disroot account does not work because my
workplace blocks external IMAP.  Now I want to access both accounts from other
devices – especially my notebook running Ubuntu 16.04.4 with OfflineIMAP 7.1.5
installed via Guix.  I suppose there is no need to share the local folder of my
work e-mail account, because it is already synchronized with the respective IMAP
server.  But:
1. What about OfflineIMAP’s metadata folders?  Should I share them between
   devices with ownCloud?
2. What about my personal Disroot account?  Since I can’t access external IMAP
   from my workplace, should I synchronize it with my notebook when I am home,
   and keep the respective OfflineIMAP local folder on ownCloud, which I could
   then access from my workplace?  The obvious limitation is that I would still
   be unable to send or receive new e-mails from my workplace via Disroot.
3. Are there special considerations or non-obvious issues?

I have searched the web but not found the answer, and Gmane gives me error
messages when I try to search this mailing list's archives.  Help will be
appreciated.

Below my offlineimap config:

# [2018-03-17 Sáb]: based on:
# - offlineimap.conf{.minimal,} from the source tarball (7.1.5)
# - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OfflineIMAP

[general]
accounts = Dtp,Jorge-Disroot

[DEFAULT]
autorefresh = 5
quick = 3
ssl_version = tls1_2
sslcacertfile = OS-DEFAULT
tls_level = tls_secure
type = Maildir

[Account Dtp]
localrepository = Dtp-local
remoterepository = Dtp-remote
postsynchook = ~/.config/offlineimap/notmuch-Dtp

[Repository Dtp-local]
localfolders = ~/offlineimap/Dtp

[Repository Dtp-remote]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.dataprev.gov.br
remoteuser = <EDITED>
# sslcacertfile = OS-DEFAULT ???

[Account Jorge-Disroot]
localrepository = Jorge-Disroot-local
remoterepository = Jorge-Disroot-remote
postsynchook = ~/.config/offlineimap/notmuch-Jorge-Disroot

[Repository Jorge-Disroot-local]
localfolders = <EDITED>

[Repository Jorge-Disroot-remote]
type = IMAP
remotehost = disroot.org
remoteuser = jorge

# LocalWords:  config

# Local Variables:
# ispell-local-dictionary: "en_US"
# End:

- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z
- Free/libre software for Android: https://f-droid.org/
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]