redownloaded many gigs of mail

Sandra Snan sandra.snan at idiomdrottning.org
Tue May 15 13:06:54 BST 2018

Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net> writes:
> It's not easy to explain what you could do because it's not clear what
> you intend.

My INBOX on the server right now has thousands and thousands of email.
And our tiny li'l server is getting pretty full.

So what I want to do right now with my maildir is:

• Email to exist on my local computer
• Email to exist on a local backup hard drive, I'll use some USB disk
  for it
• Server to be cleared out. Either the emails not to be there, or, the
  emails to live in some non-INBOX folder, such as "archive".

> You might like to read the offlineimap.conf file in details:
>
> https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/blob/master/offlineimap.conf

Thank you for writing such a rich and thorough resource, Nicholas!

But I guess I have a hard time understanding not only the syncing
process but the idea of a local maildir in the first place and how it
works.

The local app I've been using haven't really been touching the emails,
setting their flags at all etc etc, or so it seems.

Sandra