redownloaded many gigs of mail

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Tue May 15 02:04:37 BST 2018

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 08:53:05PM +0200, Sandra Snan wrote:

> hey again

Hi,

> some cert or something changed, I dunno and it redownloaded a million
> email and it took 4 gigs and it took around two days for notmuch to
> index it all

Re-download might happen if offlineimap can't find the cache
("metadatadir"), if it has been deleted or the account name in the
'accounts' setting has been changed.

>                                       also I don't like that the emails are
> permanently in the inbox on the server. I want them to be safe, sure,
> but they don't have to be in the inbox.

This depends on what you mean by "safe". If it's about having backups,
see

http://www.offlineimap.org/documentation.html#make-backups-of-a-mailbox

Usually, local deletions are propagated on the remote server so if you
remove emails locally they are deleted on the server too.

> I guess I don't really understand how offlineimap works

It makes copy of the emails via IMAP.