[ANNOUNCE] upcoming offlineimap v7.3.0

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Sat Aug 10 10:29:09 BST 2019

# Notes

I think it's time for a new release.

The upstream imaplib2 project is discontinued. That's why I've decided to
take over the maintenance of imaplib2 for offlineimap.

For the use of offlineimap I've applied the pending PRs from imaplib2.
I have applied another change (see OfflineIMAP/offlineimap#623).

However, there are 3 important limitations:

I intend to maintain imaplib2 for offlineimap only. Everything will take place
in the offlineimap project. I'll neither package imaplib2 nor maintain any
"official" repository dedicated to imaplib2. If you want imaplib2 but not
offlineimap, you should extract the file offlineimap/bundled_imaplib2.py from
the offlineimap repository. Please, send your patches for imaplib2.py to the
offlineimap project directly.

Starting from imaplib2 v2.100 (tagged: imaplib2-v2.100) I'm taking the patches
in the lazy mode. This means that I won't make deep checks/tests of the changes.
Hence, the quality and the stability might become a bit more fluctuating. For
more stability, you might like to only consider the imaplib2 versions released
with the stable versions of offlineimap. Don't expect changelogs dedicated to
imaplib2. They will be part of the offlineimap changelogs.

All of this only applies to the py2 version of imaplib2. Sadly, offlineimap has
few chances to be ported on py3 so I don't aim to maintain the py3 version of
imaplib2.

In this release, offlineimap is learning Happy Eyeballs.

I plan to make the new release in one week, approximately. If you'd like more
time, please let me know. ,-)

Feedbacks will be added to the release notes and the git logs, as usual.

# Authors

  Nicolas Sebrecht (4):
     README: add required dependency to rfc6555
     travis: remove python3.6
     imaplib2 v2.100
     imaplib2 v2.101

  Ben Cotterell (1):
     Don't expect trailing space on command completion

  Ilias Tsitsimpis (1):
     Do not use TIMEOUT_MAX for Condition.wait()

  Julien Cristau (1):
     Use SSLContext if available so we send SNI

  Olivier Mehani (1):
     implement Happy Eyeballs

# Diffstat

 .travis.yml                     |  7 -------
 README.md                       |  4 +++-
 offlineimap/bundled_imaplib2.py | 24 ++++++++++++++++--------
 offlineimap/imaplibutil.py      | 10 +++++++++-
 requirements.txt                |  1 +