gmail access problem (OAuth2, 2F)

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Oct 8 06:02:04 BST 2019

Dear all,

(please cc)

my company email account was moved to GSuite, and now I am stumbling to
get OfflineImap to work with this monster. In addition, we are forced to
use 2 Factor authentication.

What I did succeed is set up Thunderbird to access my account with the
usual settings:
- enter email and password
- enter Google imap/smtp server, select OAuth2
- click Ok, the Thunderbird window shown asks me to log in, and
  authenticate with the second factor
- Select trust this device etc
So now Thunderbird is working, but I really want offlineimap (as hard
core mutt user).

What puzzles me is where I can use the password that was given to me?

I have created a subproject on our company space, got client id and
secret, generated an oauth refresh token etc using
https://github.com/google/gmail-oauth2-tools .
My current configuration contains

[Repository remote-xxx]
type = Gmail
oauth2_client_id = xxx
oauth2_client_secret = xxx
oauth2_request_url = https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/token
oauth2_refresh_token = xxx
sslcacertfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

(and some folderfilter).

Running offlineimap with -d imap I see that
[imap]: Attempting XOAUTH2 authentication
[imap]: xoauth2handler: url "https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/token"
[imap]: xoauth2handler: params ...
[imap]: xoauth2handler: response "{u'access_token': XXX
[imap]: xoauth2handler: access_token XXX
[imap]: xoauth2handler: returning "user=Noneauth=Bearer XXX
[imap]: xoauth2handler: access_token XXX
imap]: xoauth2handler: returning "user=Noneauth=Bearer XXX
XOAUTH2 authentication failed: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)

Did anyone get this setup to work? I am wondering what Thunderbird is
doing that offlineimap + oauth tool is not doing.

And, where I would fill in the password provided ...

Thanks

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev