Messages on server revert to 'unread' after sync

Dan Barber dan at barber.ws
Sat Oct 31 14:18:43 GMT 2020

Hi,

I'm using offlineimap to pull down an account just for backup purposes.
I'm not using a mail reader on the resulting Maildir directory.

I use thunderbird to access the imap server. After running offlineimap
to pull down emails, numerous messages are marked as 'unread'. Using
thunderbird, I will mark them again as 'read' but they revert to
'unread' again after the next run. I run offlineimap once a day.

I'm sure this is probably expected and understood behavior. I'm just
looking for a 'read-only' copy of my email from IMAP server to a local
directory. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

My offlineimap rc:

[general]
accounts = LocalSync
ui=Quiet
autorefresh=30

[Account LocalSync]
localrepository = LocalMailbob
remoterepository = RemoteIMAPbob

[Repository RemoteIMAPbob]
type = IMAP
remotehost = mail.example.com
remoteuser = bob at example.com
remotepass = emailpass
auth_mechanisms = LOGIN
createfolder = true
ssl = yes
sslcacertfile = OS-DEFAULT
sync_deletes = no

[Repository LocalMailbob]
type = Maildir
localfolders = /mnt/ExternalDrive/bob/Maildir
sep = .
createfolder = true
sync_deletes = no