Outlook.office365 with 2FA via Firefox cookies

Bruno brunoce at kolabnow.com
Sat Jan 23 14:46:58 GMT 2021

Dear offlineimap team.

I have just posted a question on stack overflow that is more of an opportunity to evolve the tool than a question per se. I hope someone gets interested in it.

Thank you very much for the wonderful tool! Here it goes:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/q/630277/375983

How can we use offlineimap to sync our corporate email account that sits on outlook.office365.com, when its authentication asks for a two-factor authentication (2FA) that is a Symantec VIP Access one?

I guess we could open a valid session by authenticating in firefox, and then offlineimap could use the token that is stored in firefox cookie. Does it make sense? I guess this would need some upgrading in offlineimap, and we could re-do something from another python project that makes use of session tokens from firefox cookies. Do you remember any?

Does these code snippets help?

https://github.com/hile/jsontester/blob/99f71b0003954c1ca2cf0cb37a55f9398eac55b5/jsontester/cookies.py

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49502254/how-to-import-firefox-cookies-to-python-requests

https://gist.github.com/denis-bz/88611952815b56b5b8b5

Thank you very much in advance for contributions on this challenge.

Kind regards,

Bruno Schroeder