Encoding errors in Gmail?

Jonathan Whitehead jonathan.whitehead at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 20:38:08 BST 2023

I'm running imap in a docker container (maxkratz/onlineimap), after trying
repeatedly to run it in bare debian.  I'm backing up from Gmail.  In the
container, offlineimap -V shows:

offlineimap v8.0.0, imaplib2 v3.05, Python v3.10.6, OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar
2022

The docker container gets me further, but in both cases, offlineimap
eventually errors and closes after hitting 5-10 encoding errors, such as:

ERROR: UID 140848
(<ZF3lf1bGTw-Ct-Y9A5ZZl3Q6MXODdPHg-212.129.51.36 at ismtpd0003p1iad1.sendgrid.net>)
has defects preventing it from being processed!

  UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in
position 434-435: ordinal not in range(128)

Traceback:

  File "/usr/share/offlineimap3/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line 810,
in copymessageto

    message = self.getmessage(uid)

  File "/usr/share/offlineimap3/offlineimap/folder/Gmail.py", line 69,
in getmessage

    data = self._fetch_from_imap(str(uid), self.retrycount)

  File "/usr/share/offlineimap3/offlineimap/folder/IMAP.py", line 930,
in _fetch_from_imap

    raise OfflineImapError(

This seems to be related to UTF-8 encoding somehow. My next step would
be to look at these message (or figure out a fix). But how do I
determine which message is causing the failure?  UID 140848 doesn't
appear in my maildir yet, and Gmail does not see the sendgrid address
when I search.