[Openstack-devel] GSoC : packaging OpenStack

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Fri Apr 13 23:20:19 UTC 2012

On 04/04/2012 01:03 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/StudentApplications/AronXu
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/StudentApplications/SyedArmani
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/StudentApplications/shashanksahni
For the sake of transparency, I'm finishing this thread although the discussions and applications modifications were private since the expiration of the GSoC submission deadline April 6th. The three applications have merits and I was really happy about their quality. That made the choice more difficult but I had the pleasure to get to know Aron Xu, Shashank Sahni and Syed Armani a little better.

Aron Xu is a skilled Debian Developper who would be an asset to packaging OpenStack but his proposal unfortunately does not fall in the boundaries of the project which is to package a use case that's different from default one.

Shashank Sahni has a clear view of OpenStack use cases which involve a combination of tools like puppet or chef as well as Debian packages. Unfortunately such extended use case are beyond the scope of the project.

Syed Armani chose to focus on Quantum based use cases which will bring Network as a Service to OpenStack, if done right. It happens to be a promising use case and an area that is currently lacking expertise in the OpenStack Debian packaging team.

Ghe Rivero and myself chose Syed Armani's application and recommended him to the Debian GSoC board.

What's next ? We will wait for google to, hopefully, approve our recommendation by April 23rd. If it happens, we will organize the planning between April 24th and April 30th. The work will begin May 1st using two simple Agile methods ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28development%29#Daily_Scrum and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28development%29#Sprint ) and anyone interested is invited to join irc.oftc.net#debian-openstack for a chat.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary         Chief Research Officer
// eNovance labs   http://labs.enovance.com