[Openstack-devel] swift package diff debian / ubuntu

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Apr 17 09:44:41 UTC 2012

On 04/14/2012 05:43 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was researching before reporting bugs against the swift package and in the process I diffed the current swift packages from debian & ubuntu. Here is the result for the record.
>
> Cheers

Good call.

This shows that we should add a dependency to python-paste for the
python-swift package. Also, the short description in Ubuntu is better.

-Provides: ${python:Provides}

We should also add the Provides: above, and in all binary packages of
debian/control.

What's bellow needs our attention as well:

 if ! getent passwd swift > /dev/null ; then
-  adduser --system --quiet --disabled-login --disabled-password
--no-create-home --group --shell /bin/false swift
+  adduser --system --quiet --disabled-login --disabled-password
--no-create-home --group swift
 fi

 usermod -G adm swift

IMO, usermod should be called to fix all what adduser does too.

 case "$1" in
     purge)
-        # Remove swift user if possible
+        # Remove swift user if possible

         userdel swift || true

I wouldn't remove the user at all. UUID reusability is always dangerous.

BTW, the differences in the init.d scripts aren't relevant, because
Ubuntu uses upstream. What we are seeing here is just an older version
of what I wrote.

If you all agree with the above, I'll commit the changes.