[Openstack-devel] swift package diff debian / ubuntu

Julien Danjou acid at debian.org
Tue Apr 17 09:53:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> We should also add the Provides: above, and in all binary packages of
> debian/control.

This isn't needed nowadays AFAIK and is only useful for transition from
old Python packages, something Swift is not concerned about.

> What's bellow needs our attention as well:
>
>  if ! getent passwd swift > /dev/null ; then
> -  adduser --system --quiet --disabled-login --disabled-password
> --no-create-home --group --shell /bin/false swift
> +  adduser --system --quiet --disabled-login --disabled-password
> --no-create-home --group swift
>  fi
>
>  usermod -G adm swift
>
> IMO, usermod should be called to fix all what adduser does too.

The correct fix IMHO is to remove the if and just call adduser directly.
This is what we do for other packages.

It doesn't matter if you call adduser multiple times, it won't say
if the user already exists, and will take care of consistency.

OTOH, I wonder why the usermod call is for. I don't see why should Swift
be in the adm group.

--
           Julien