[Openstack-devel] Ceph packaging in Debian GNU/Linux

Sage Weil sage at inktank.com
Sat Jun 9 21:13:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
> Hi Loic, Sage,
>
> On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 11:46 +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
> > I'm interested in making sure Ceph is supported in Debian GNU/Linux in the upcoming wheezy. That would be a useful addition to the OpenStack packages ( worked on by the team cc'ed to this mail).
>  I've good connection with Sage, however we lost the discussion on what
> to do next. Ceph started to use leveldb with v0.44 , which unbuildable
> on several platforms where Ceph could be built otherwise. Effectively
> killing his work on those architectures.
>  Now tried to build 0.47.2 on amd64 and it fails right away with
> Makefile.am:182: `lib/libgtest.a' is not a standard libtool library name
> Makefile.am:182: did you mean `lib/libgtest.la'?
> Makefile.am:182: `lib/libgtest_main.a' is not a standard libtool library name
> Makefile.am:182: did you mean `lib/libgtest_main.la'?

This is a warning, not an error.. but annoying.  There are some build
targets that use gtest that we want statically linked, but I'm horrible
with autotools, so the current setup is a kludge.

Speaking of leveldb... there are two things I think we need to do:

 1- We should switch the default debian/rules etc so that we use the
separate leveldb package.  Then backport it to the distributions we are
building for and stick it in the ceph debian repo.  This will make your
life a bit easier.

 2- I forget exactly what the arch issue was... is the problem that the
leveldb devs have no interest in supporting those architectures?  leveldb
is in wheezy already...

thanks-
sage