[Openstack-devel] sync Ceph packaging efforts for Debian/Ubuntu

Sage Weil sage at inktank.com
Sat Jun 16 21:50:26 UTC 2012

Hi Laszlo,

I've take a closer look at these patches, and have a few questions.

- The URL change and nss patches I've applied; they are in the ceph.git
'debian' branch.

- Has the leveldb patch been sent upstream?  Once it is committed to
the upstream git, we can update ceph to use it; that's nicer than carrying
the patch.  However, I thought you needed to link against the existing
libleveldb1 package... which means we shouldn't do anything on our side,
right?

- I'm not sure how useful it is to break mount.ceph and cephfs into a
separate ceph-fs-common package, but we can do it.  Same goes for a
separate package for ceph-mds.  That was originally motivated by ubuntu
not wanting the mds in main, but in the end only the libraries went in, so
it's a moot point.  I'd rather hear from them what their intentions are
for 12.10 before complicating things...

- That same patch also switched all the Architecture: lines back to
linux-any.  Was that intentional?  I just changed them from that last
week.

- I did apply the python-ceph Depends: portion of that patch.

The result so far is in the 'debian' branch of ceph.git.  Please take a
look.

Thanks!
sage