[Openstack-devel] There are three ways to solve this bug #673805

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Mon Jun 18 20:23:36 UTC 2012

Hi Thomas

Sorry for not being clear. I started the email with one intention
but ended up in another.

Alternative 1. Just close it.

Alternative 2. Make sure that all the plugin packages actually contain
 anything useful. Some packages are virtually empty. Is there
 a specific reason for that?

Alternative 3. Provide a proper Provides and replaces which
 was already done.

I'm leaning towards alternative 2, but it looks like someone have
moved away from that alternative, and I would like to know why..

// Ola

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 03:06:47PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 01:58 PM, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > I would like to check with you which way you prefer of three
> > different options regarding bug #673805.
>
> What are the 3 options you are talking about?
>
> By the way in the quantum package, I saw stuff like this:
>
> Package: quantum-plugin-cisco
>  [...]
> Provides: quantum-plugin
> Conflicts: quantum-plugin
> Replaces: python-quantum (<< 2012.1-3)
> Breaks: python-quantum (<< 2012.1-3)
>
> And same for the quantum-plugin-openvswitch quantum-plugin-sample,
> quantum-plugin-nicira, quantum-plugin-linuxbridge, quantum-plugin-ryu.
>
> If the problem was *only* #673805, then that's wrong. Only a Replaces:
> was necessary, and Provides, Clonflicts and Breaks should go away. In
> Debian, it makes absolutely *no sense at all* to have both Conflicts and
> Breaks at the same time. The Conflicts: and Replaces: are enough here,
> what was missing for the upgrade was the Replaces: only. Since git blame
> shows that it's Mehdi, I've Cc:-ed you. :)
>
> Thomas

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /