[Openstack-devel] Why did you upload netcf 0.2.2 to SID after the freeze?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Nov 19 08:52:30 UTC 2012

Hi Serge and Al,

Serge uploaded netcf to SID after the freeze, on the 2012-08-07, which
is more than one month after Debian Wheezy was frozen. Why did you do
that? Can't you just use Experimental? That's best practice, IMO.

I wouldn't recommend to upload a new version to SID after the freeze at
all, especially for a shared library, but this would have been
acceptable if Al's upload from yesterday (November 18th, according to
the PTS) completely broke broke libvirt in SID:

zigo at node ~$ sudo apt-get install libvirt0 libvirt-bin libnetcf1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 libnetcf1 : Conflicts: libvirt0 (<= 0.10.1-2~) but 0.9.12-5 is to be
installed

SID, indeed, has version 0.9.12-5 of libvirt. And not even Experimental
has a libvirt version that could satisfy this dependency.

So we have libvirt0 that depends on libnetcf1, but libnetcf1 conflicting
with any libvirt0 that we have in SID / experimental. That doesn't look
like a library transition that has been coordinated with the release team!

Please fix the situation (eg: revert to version 0.2.0 if you need, the
Conflict: with libvirt0 is unacceptable), and *please* coordinate such
upload with the release team in the future.