[Openstack-devel] [Pkg-libvirt-maintainers] Why did you upload netcf 0.2.2 to SID after the freeze?

Al Stone ahstone at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 14:51:14 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 05:48 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 11/19/2012 06:37 PM, Guido Günther wrote:
>> It doesn't conflict with the version in experimental.
>
> That's correct, sorry. I miss-read version numbers.
>
>> Although a breaks
>> would be prefereable over a conflicts. I'd prefer uploading 1.0.0 to
>> sid rather than reverting the netcf change.
>
> Well, for me (and probably many others), it would have been better to
> keep version 0.1.9-2 of netcf in Sid.
>

> The current problem is isolated to installing libvirt0, because
> libnetcf1 reverse dependencies are only libvirt0 (and python-libvirt).
> However, apt-rdepends -r libvirt0 gives the following list:
>
> - condor (>= 7.8.2~dfsg.1-1+deb7u1)
> - eucalyptus-nc (>= 3.1.0-9)
> - gnome-boxes (>= 3.4.3+dfsg-1)
> - libguestfs-tools (>= 1:1.18.10-1)
> - libguestfs0 (>= 1:1.18.10-1)
> - libsys-virt-perl (>= 0.9.12-2)
> - libvirt-glib-1.0-0 (>= 0.0.8-1)
> - libvirt-ocaml (>= 0.6.1.2-1)
> - python-libvirt (>= 0.9.12-5)
> - ruby-libvirt (>= 0.4.0-1)
> - virt-top (>= 1.0.7-1+b1)
> - virt-viewer (>= 0.5.4-1)
> - xenwatch (>= 0.5.4-3)
>
> That's 13 packages, in which probably, an upload will have to be done in
> Sid to fix who-knows-why. If you upload a new libvirt0 to Sid, then how
> do you expect these to be updated in Wheezy thanks to an upload in Sid?
>
> In any way, an upload of a newer libvirt version in Sid should be
> coordinated with the release team, especially during the freeze. And at
> this point, I'd bet that they would (rightly) refuse.
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

My apologies; my only reason for uploading the new version was simply
that I had time to do it (which I have not had very often lately).  I
simply forgot that we were under a freeze.  There is no critical reason
for fixing it, and we could go back to the earlier version if that's
what makes most sense.

That being said, the latest version is a qualitative improvement over
the older one.  Is it enough to justify redoing the 13 other packages?
I am not entirely convinced; I think the freeze is more important right
now.

Again, my apologies; I have to say I just wasn't paying attention :(...

--
Ciao,
al
E-mail: ahstone at comcast.net                   ahs3 at debian.org