[Openstack-devel] Please welcome to Sebastien Badia from INRIA / Grid5000 GPC

Sebastien Badia seb at sebian.fr
Thu Nov 29 03:08:42 UTC 2012

Le mercredi 28 nov. 2012 à 02:17:00 (+0800), Thomas Goirand a écrit :

> If you are trying to automate the setup of an Openstack cloud, then
> probably our Folsom packages will make it a way more easy. We are aiming
> at tweaking all the configuration files through the debconf interface,
> so it can be easily scripted. Currently, you can do:
>
> apt-get install openstack-proxy-node
>
> and you get a working controler server with all the APIs running and
> registered through debconf.
>
> Of course, you get a lot of debconf screens, probably to an abuse! But
> the intend is rather to make it easy to script (with debconf /
> dbconfig-common preseeding) rather than making it easy to install by
> hand, so it simplifies deployments.
>
> Which is why you might want to give our packages a try.
>
> I maintain a repository at:
> deb http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian experimental main
>
> this also contains few backports so the packages can work on Wheezy.
> (Though some more will be soon needed for Ceilometer, like greenlet >= 0.4).

Hi,

Thank you for all this info, I'll test that.

> Not really. I'm solving problems as I see them, aiming at a fully
> preseedeable install as explained above. Still, there's few things that
> are in the pipe:
>
> - Package a more recent version of python-keystoneclient (>= 0.2) and
> python-glanceclient (>= 0.6) so that we can package a working version of
> Ceilometer.
> - Get all the newer commits from upstream into each packages (using the
> upstream Folsom branch) and make sure that all recent CVEs have been
> addressed (currently, only the Wheezy Essex packages are up-to-date, our
> Git isn't).
> - Kill all lintian warnings.
>
> Plus I have a bunch of quality control checks that I should do. Then
> only, we shall upload all of that in Experimental (or to SID if Wheezy
> is finally released).

I start in the debian packaging, so I will not be a great help, for cons I can
maybe help with lintian warnings.

> If you can help on any of these (especially the huge work of updating
> each packages), then feel free. We hang on #debian-openstack on the OFTC
> irc network, and there's a KGB bot that will spy on your packaging
> commits there. Please join!

Yes I saw it (sbadia on the channel) :-)

> > ¹http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/lucas/cloud-scripts.git;a=summary
>
> It'd be nice to have these to work with Openstack as well. I'd be
> interested to know if it would work directly with the EC2 API of Openstack.

Normally yes, we try to use the least possible Amazon specificity, to keep
«interoperability», but it would be to check ! (todo++ for me)

> > ²https://github.com/sbadia/openstack-campaign
>
> Could you explain a bit more what Grid 5000 is, how it works, and how
> specifically you can deploy Openstack? We are interested in how you'll
> do the automations, and what your specifics are.

Yes of course, g5k is a testbed for research on distributed systems,
In figures, g5k is made of 10 sites, 26 clusters (1700nodes) with
heterogeneous hardware.
For experiments, nodes are reserved (with OAR) for relatively short
periods (max ~10h), we can reinstall (with Kadeploy3) those nodes and
put them in a separate vlan (with KaVLAN).

Installing OpenStack have been automated with a RestFull API to
 - submit a reservation on some nodes (never the same).
 - deploy those node with ubuntu and put it into a vlan
 - bootstrap a puppet infrastructure
 - and finaly install openstack with puppetlabs recipes

I will soon go on a debian image, and thus debian packages :-)

Sorry for my poor english… for the presentation of g5k,
there is lucas's slides http://www.loria.fr/~lnussbau/files/sc11-grid5000.pdf
or directly the website https://www.grid5000.fr/.

> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
>
> P.S: You are already approved as a commiter in the Alioth group.

Thank you very much, I wait for the spread (authorized_keys) of my key
on alioth.

Sebastien

--
Sebastien Badia