[Openstack-devel] Tagging versions on your Git

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Oct 14 06:19:13 UTC 2012

Hi Gabriel,

My name is Thomas, and I'm one of the team members of the Debian
openstack packaging team. I have found out that horizon currently
depends on django_openstack_auth which you seem to be maintaining. (Is
the URL: https://github.com/gabrielhurley/ the official one for the
package btw?)

In the Debian openstack packaging team, we store all our packaging work
in Git on alioth. Whenever possible, we do *not* store there the master
branch, which is stored directly on github. Then our build process is
based on the upstream tags. Eg, if our debian/changelog files contains
2012.2, for example, then our system will use the upstream tag 2012.2 as
a base for the orig.tar.xz file.

The problem is that with your package, there's no tags, which forces us
to store your master branch on Alioth in order to add tags to it, with
the risk that our tags aren't at the correct commit.

So, of course: could you tag your releases the same way it's done in
other Openstack projects? :)

Please let the team know.