[Openstack-devel] Current state of the Folsom packaging -- horizon

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Oct 31 06:27:29 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 03:01 AM, Tim Spriggs wrote:
> /usr/share/openstack-dashboard/static/dashboard/{css,js}
>
> So those two directories need to be owned by horizon so that the
> horizon wsgi process can write there. I imagine this should be
> modified to use some other path (perhaps under /var?) but those files
> need to be served up as static content.

Outch! Indeed, this is a Debian policy violation, as users should be
able to mount /usr as read only! I hope that a symlink to
/var/lib/horizon will be enough to fix this non-sense.

On 10/31/2012 03:01 AM, Tim Spriggs wrote:
 > As is usually the case with OpenStack, tracing down errors is "fun."
 > Horizon seems to require a full set of service endpoints to be setup
 > under keystone. I don't remember 100% of the details but I think this
 > included cinder (having an older nova-volume endpoint was not enough)
 > and so logins to horizon failed without an error in the browser.

That's fine to me, Roland disabled the nova-volume service in the
default nova.conf, so that nova-api doesn't bind on the same port as cinder.

BTW, moving from volume to cinder will be painful for our users. The
client API remains the same and is fully compatible, but I have read
that nova-volume and cinder database aren't compatible. I guess if some
want to switch from nova-volume to cinder, they'll have to do that
manually somehow. There's few threads on the subject which can be found
on the web.

On 10/31/2012 03:01 AM, Tim Spriggs wrote:
 > The way lessc is implemented is messy. The source includes its own
 > broken version so I hacked around it by using the Debian node-less
 > package and a hard-coded a path to the system lessc (attached.) The
 > lessc script should probably be removed from the final package (not
 > included in the patch) but once I hacked around a little horizon is
 > working.

Indeed, we should remove any embedded library. When you write "lessc",
are you talking about "lesscss" from lesscss.org? What's going to be
painful is that NodeJS was not accepted in Wheezy, because of the "node"
binary conflicting with the amradio package in Debian. The issue was
opened for a year, until the tec commity decided that none of nodejs nor
amradio should use "node", which is too generic. Then as the bug was
opened for a year, NodeJS never migrated to testing. So if we want
Horizon Folsom version to work with Debian Wheezy, we'll have to take
care of these backports...

Now, about your patch, I don't really understand it. Why doesn't
os.path.join(BIN_DIR, 'less', 'lessc') lead to /usr/bin/lessc? What's
the value of BIN_DIR when the script is executed?

Anyway, when testing, we'll remember your patch. Thanks for sharing it.