[Openstack-devel] Ubuntu and Debian package diff for nova

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Wed Sep 5 19:00:28 UTC 2012

Hi Julien

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:00:38AM +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
> > It's a little bit too late in the release cycle, I'm fearing the release
> > team reaction here.
>
> Oh, I think that all changes are too late now anyway.

Yes. We can only get in really important problems and documentation changes.

> >>  nova-ajax-console-proxy:
> >>  - Debian does not provide this package at all. Ubuntu does.
>
> I think this is now superseded by novnc.

Do you mean that Ubuntu should no longer provide it?

> >>  nova-vncproxy & nova-xvpvncproxy:
> >>  - Ubuntu has nova-vncproxy while debian has nova-xvpvncproxy (that provides nova-vncproxy)
> >>  - Ubuntu has a conflict against novnc, while debian does not.
>
> Same here, vncproxy is now novnc if I'm not mistaken. Don't know what
> nova-xvpvncproxy is.

But why do ubuntu conflict novnc? Or is it so that ubuntu does nto have novnc?

> >> debian/nova-common.postinst
> >> ---------------------------
> >>  - Ubuntu checks for the existance of an user/group before creating.
> >>    Debian should do the same.
> >
> > You didn't read the script correctly then. The debian package uses
> > getent, which is the correct way (tm) to do things. It's the Ubuntu
> > package that is wrong here, IMO.
>
> Is it me, but I don't see any getent? Anyway, I think getent isn't the
> way togo neither, the current implementation is fine, adduser does not
> fail if a group or a user already exists.

Getent is better as it can handle the case when you have users defined
in ldap, nis or something like that. But you are right that adduser
does not fail so it is not strictly wrong either.

// Ola

> Cheers,
> --
> Julien Danjou
> # Free Software hacker & freelance
> # http://julien.danjou.info

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /