[Openstack-devel] OVS 2.0.1 packages in Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Dec 19 08:30:02 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 06:02 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> I can't see any git repository on Alioth for the maintenance of OVS. I
>> usually prefer to use Git for maintaining my packages. Are you used to
>> do that?
>
> I've been a Debian maintainer for a long time

Oh, I thought you were DD, not DM.

> Sure, let's create an Git repo on Alioth for OVS

Done already. Please do:
git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/openvswitch.git

Once done, you can do:
./debian/rules gen-orig-xz
git-buildpackage

You will notice that I did a bit of simplification in the packaging
already. Please read debian/changelog.

One thing that is currently wrong, is that your tagged release currently
include the debian folder. Please remove it completely from your
upstream Git, or at least rename the debian folder into something like
"debian-upstream", because otherwise it's very annoying. I currently
removed it, and added a tag "2.0.1" in the "branch-2.0", so I could use
git-buildpackage. Let me explain how it works.

Thanks to debian/gbp.conf (upstream-tag = %(version)s), git-buildpackage
is using the tag that matches the version described in debian/changelog
to generate the difference between the upstream tarball and the package.
This means that the tagged release cannot contain the debian folder,
otherwise dpkg / git-buildpackage doesn't understand how to make that
difference.

There are a few things which I don't really understand in the current
packaging. Let me ask a few question.

- Why do you have a debian/automake.mk? How is it used? Couldn't we just
get rid of it?

- I saw there's a control.modules.in file. My understanding is that it
is used to sed the _KVERS_ variable. Though there's a header for the
source package, which doesn't even seem to be up-to-date. There's also a
rules.modules which seems to be related. Do we really need this? Isn't
the dkms package just enough? I do believe that the old module-assistant
thing should be killed, since the dkms thing is so much better and easy
to use. Your thoughts welcome!

> OK.  I'll make a note of that.
>
> When I'm at work, I'm usually available in #openvswitch on freenode.

I've joined. My nick is "zigo" on both OFTC and Freenode.

>> As well, register to the list (openstack-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org).
>
> Subscribed.

I approved both your Alioth login and list subscription. I've therefore
removed you from the list of "To:" on this mail (so you don't receive it
twice).

> Probably we should start a separate
> discussion on whether only packaging LTS releases (to
> unstable/testing) make sense, too.

Please feel free to start a separate topic about this in the list.