[Openstack-devel] python-nose-exclude_0.2.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Dec 28 07:21:47 UTC 2013

On 12/28/2013 01:00 PM, Paul Richards Tagliamonte wrote:

> Howdy maintainer,
>
> How did you find out which version of the LGPL? I can't find
> anything more than "GNU LGPL" in the source. It'd be great
> to document how you figured out it was that version in d/copyright
> or get upstream to include more information. Technically, it's
> a violation of the LGPL to not distribute a copy of it.
>
> Cheers,
>   Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your review, and sorry for this.

The problem, like for many, many PyPi python modules, is that upstream
just simply removes the LICENSE and COPYRIGHT files from the archive in
pypi.python.org, even though it's available from the Git / HG
repository. Now that I'm aware this is a common practice, I'll pay more
attention to it. Do you think it should be possible to warn people
behind pypi about this nasty problem?

I have reworked a package using the tag at
https://bitbucket.org/kgrandis/nose-exclude. I am using:
git clone hg::https://bitbucket.org/kgrandis/nose-exclude

Then I do:
git archive --prefix=$(DEBPKGNAME)-$(VERSION)/ $(GIT_TAG) \
	| xz >../$(DEBPKGNAME)_$(VERSION).orig.tar.xz

This way, the Debian orig file is using xz, and the upstream tag,
instead of the pypi tar.gz.

Also, I have noticed that the package was released in LGPL 2.1 and
later. I have corrected the copyright file to reflect this, and
re-uploaded the package. Please check for it. I need it to be able to
update Horizon (openstack dashboard), as its unit tests are completely
failing without nose-exclude.

Also, not that the problem is the same for django-bootstrap-form, with
the added difficulty that upstream isn't tagging things correctly in
github, so I had to do some archeology to find out which tag
corresponded to which PyPi release. I'll rework that one package too,
and re-upload as well soon (probably today or tomorrow).