[Openstack-devel] Debstack instead of Devstack?

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Fri Feb 8 17:25:57 UTC 2013

As I wrote, a "debstack" would be just preseeding + apt-get... :)

> From my initial impression of XCP: it appears to be more than just
> tools, even the disk images are different. Can VMs still run from raw
> LVs on the dom0?

Yes, you would setup an LVM storage repository to do that.

> I found a few mailing list posts about converting from xend/xm to XCP,
> they mention things like converting the filesystems and also changing
> device names to /dev/xvd[abcd] - can you make any Debian-specific
> comments on this, particularly in the context of upgrades from lenny or
> squeeze to wheezy?

Well, you've been hit by the CentOS 5.x sickness of still running 2.6.18
kernels so many years after it was deprecated.

In fact, you should *not* run /dev/sd[abcd]. This has been deprecated
long ago. It seems to me that you are still running with Lenny, because
with Squeeze, it doesn't work anymore. It should be renamed
/dev/xvd[abcd]. This was a requirement from guys from kernel.org so that
Xen could be accepted upstream. That's just a rename though, so it's
quite easy to fix if you have some old setups. Just rename in the xen
startup file, and in the /etc/fstab in your guests.

I have written about this in the Squeeze release notes. I'll let you
search for it.

>> If you plan on using Cinder, make sure you do smart partitioning though.
>> Cinder uses LVM, while compute and Glance will write images in /var,
>> which needs to be big enough. So, with 4 disks, I'd go for LVM over
>> RAID10, and have your /var on the LVM, so you can resize everything as
>> you wish / as needed.
>
> I saw one comment suggesting the Cinder needs it's own VG, is that
> true?

Can you give a link to such a comment?

> In a dev/test server, is it OK to just put all disks in a single
> VG and give some of the space to Cinder as required?

I'm not sure, to tell the truth. Probably you'd better ask such question
in the launchpad list: openstack at lists.launchpad.net