[Openstack-devel] XCP storage repository for OpenStack?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Feb 11 08:34:58 UTC 2013

On 08/02/13 18:29, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 02/09/2013 01:04 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> Looking in this document, it mentions that XCP should be configured to
>> use `EXT' rather than LVM for the storage repository:
>>
>> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/openstack-install-guide-apt-trunk.pdf
>>
>> However, looking at xen-api.git/debian/README.Debian, I notice this at
>> the beginning:
>>
>> "This is the XCP toolstack ported to Debian. Installing these packages
>> will turn
>> a Debian system into an XCP virtualization host. While we aim to be
>> functionally equivalent to a standard XCP system, not all features are
>> currently ported to Debian. Noteably, block-based storage repositories have
>> been disabled.
>>  -- Jon Ludlam <jonathan.ludlam at eu.citrix.com>  Thu, 07 Jul 2011
>> 21:50:18 +0100"
>>
> Jon Ludlam is the upstream author for the storage part of XCP, so I
> guess he knows what he's talking about, even though he might not express
> himself clearly enough.
>

>> The comment about `block-based' storage repositories is still true?  Is
>> this a reference to the `EXT' SR required for OpenStack?
>>
> I'm not sure what he's talking about when saying "block-based" (if this
> means LVM or not...). But for sure, the EXT storage is there. That's
> what I used.

My initial impression is that the notes were simply not current - that
is why I included the timestamp, July 2011

I could open a documentation bug for this?  Would you consider adapting
the README with notes about the netmask issue and clarifying some of
these other things?  I will also be happy to provide some extra notes
about migrating VMs from old xm style Xen