[Openstack-devel] Licensing guidelines for any projects (because of: python-warlock_0.4.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Jan 31 09:02:42 UTC 2013

Dear everyone, dear Openstack contributors,

As you all can see with the email below, sent by Ansgar Burchardt, who
is one of the FTP masters team (who doing the peer-review for the
licensing in Debian), even if a project has an attached LICENSE file
containing the Apache-2.0 license, even if we all well know that our
projects are all using the Apache-2.0 license inside Openstack, your
package might well be rejected by the Debian FTP masters.

I have absolutely no doubts that python-warlock, written by Brian
Waldon, who is one of the core dev of Glance (I hope I'm not mistaking
here...), is released under the Apache-2.0 license. But the FTP masters
at Debian may have a different view on the requirement to really trust
that a given source code is released under a specific license, and they
wont just trust my words.

Therefore, I would like to kindly request everyone to pay attention to
what is required to release a given source code under a give license.

Please do add the Apache-2.0 license header in all the source code that
you write if possible, and otherwise at least, write in a README.txt or
such, that you really do want to release your code under the license
(see below how to do that, and again, just dropping the Apache LICENSE
file seems not enough from the viewpoint of the Debian FTP masters).

Also, I have found often very difficult to find each individual email
address which I should normally put in the debian/copyright of each
package. This isn't absolutely mandatory, but this helps a lot to get in
touch whenever needed (and it's sometimes important for QA). So please
don't hide your email address. Trying to avoid spam isn't an excuse:
setup a good anti-spam system and deal with it like everyone else...
your email will anyway go sooner or later in the hands of the bad guys,
like it or not.

Also, please don't reply that the FTP Masters are nitpicking. In some
ways, one might think this is the case, but in fact, they are absolutely
right. We are dealing here with legal maters, and legal maters require
some things to be clearly written. Think about it this way: on the
extreme case, if we don't take precautions, someone might well one day
attack SPI in court (the legal non-profit behind Debian), using some
copyright laws. The licenses and statements are there to be 100% sure of
the fact we are dealing with free software.

Remember that Canonical seems to care a lot less about such licensing
issues than we do at Debian, which we insist in remaining 100% free.

So this is a very serious subject that I'm talking about here.

All this is slowing down the upload to Debian a lot, and it's getting
really painful.

Thanks in advance to follow these guidelines,

P.S: This is absolutely not addressed specifically to Brian Waldon, who
just happen to be yet another instance of such problem. My intention is
to warn *everyone* here. I'm by the way writing to him privately to
address this specific package.