[Openstack-devel] Rewriting the .ini parsing bit of openstack-pkg-tools

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Mon Mar 11 18:35:15 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 01:39 AM, gustavo panizzo <gfa> wrote:
> wheel, if one really don't want to be disturbed would pressed debconf,
> right?

... or use the non-interactive mode of Debconf, if you don't need to set
specific value and use something like chef / crowbar / puppet / whatever.

>> Would any of you use a totally different approach to the problem?
>
> yes, i would use oslo.config, if upstream decides tomorrow to save their
> config in gconf2 (as an example)
> the parser should be rewrote, they have changed the syntax for config
> files in the past, there are no
> warranties they wouldn't do it again.

That means adding a Pre-Depends: python-oslo.config, which is what I am
trying to avoid here (as it breaks the debconf flaw).

> openstack is a big complex software to package, i think the packaging
> work should be keep as small as possible
> not in quality but in amount of work

Yeah! Trying... :P

>> For the moment, I would lean toward the grep + sed version, as I see it
>> easier to read and understand, plus there's a unique parsing logic for
>> both get and set, which is nicer.
> can python-oslo.config set values? or just retrieve?

Well, that's another problem. It can only get values, not set them.