[Openstack-devel] cloud-initramfs-tools growroot bug in Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon May 27 14:39:16 UTC 2013

On 05/24/2013 03:52 AM, Scott Moser wrote:
> This is probably whatever your /bin/sh is doesn't like:
>   'trap cleanup EXIT'
> dash, busybox's sh (at least as built by ubuntu in busybox-initramfs and
> busybox-static), and bash all are OK with that.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply, and sorry that it took me so long to reply again.
I was in fact investigating and working out my own image, which now
works well (minus what's below, though I have workarounds which work
already: see below).

I've searched, and searched again, and didn't find this at all in the
growpart folder of cloud-initramfs. Is it possible that this is located
somewhere else, like in:
overlayroot/scripts/init-bottom/overlayroot

or in:
rescuevol/scripts/local-premount/rescuevol

???

It doesn't really make sense to me if it was there, but these are the
only place where I saw what you are talking about.

On 05/24/2013 09:25 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
>>> I dont understand how its dangerous.
>> >
>> > Because if for any reason the output isn't what you
>> > expect (like it happened to me), then it breaks
>> > everything.
> But it did the right thing.  It exited without changing anything.
> An unexpected error was encountered and it took the safe way out.

Maybe it's just that I got very frustrated by it, as I spent quite some
time to find out what happened. So forget it, and forgive me! :)

I'd appreciate if you help me to fix this trap thing, so it is clean again.

On 05/24/2013 09:25 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
>>>  please open a bug. i'm not sure what the right way to handle that
>>> is.
>>>
>>> I don't think so. If I produce a patch that does a
>>> dpkg-vendor --derive-from ubuntu to handle this
>>> gracefully, will you accept it?
> A initramfs build-time change would be fine, maybe we should file a
> bug / feature request for initramfs to be able to determine this in a
> clean way.

For the moment, I have this as a debian quilt patch. I will try to
produce something cleaner later on, so that you only have a patch to
apply, and then I'll open such bug (I don't want to consume your time
for Debian-specific things...).

On 05/24/2013 09:25 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
>> p.s: any news from the live-build thing we discussed
>> > earlier? Because you didn't answer, I just built a
>> > small script instead of using live-build, but I
>> > really wish we could unify our efforts, merge your
>> > work into live-build 4.x, etc.
> I thought I had replied, sorry.
> Our build system works, and is very low maintenance.  The only
> significant effort we had over the past 4 years was in moving from
> vm-builder to live-build.

You did reply, then we've talked about the fact that you had some
specific patches to live-build which were not documented anywhere, and
then you said you would. That's were we are at at the moment.