[Openstack-devel] welcoming new contributors

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Nov 22 05:52:22 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 01:27 PM, Prach Pongpanich wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas at debian.org> wrote:
>> On 22/11/13 at 01:36 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> Many people showed up, where added to the Alioth packaging group, though
>>> only Gustavo did some actual work. Which is why I added the todo. I
>>> believe that part of the problem is that OpenStack is just too big, and
>>> it's hard to know where to start.
>>
>> Sure, it's a pretty complex set of packages. But still, there should be
>> a way to describe something that is doable in one evening. For example,
>> you could explain somewhere that a good way to start to contribute is to
>> install openstack, and try to reproduce a bug that was not reproduced
>> yet.
>>
>> I agree that this is not a ground-breaking contribution, but people need
>> a way to start, and still, it's a way to contribute something useful.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I agree that, it's a pretty complex set of packages.
> When I start contributing to openstack packaging, I’ll work on small packages
> (python-heatclient, python-keystoneclient and python-pbr), it's
> another way to contribute.
>
> Thomas, sorry for lack of contribution.
>
> Regards,
>  Prach Pongpanich

Parch,

Thanks for reminding me that you are around, I forgot you were the one
who contributed python-heatclient, and thought it was Gustavo.

If you want to help, please take some task in the todo here:
https://wiki.debian.org/OpenStack/OpenStack/todo

Just put your name in front of a task and work on it. As you can see, I
already fixed #729025, and I'm working on #728427 (which is harder than
it may seem, because apt starts preinst in a different order than it
would with simply dpkg -i, if I'm not mistaking, so I need to take care
of testing it well). Then I'm planning to work on
http://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=simplejson (eg: it's not
migrating to testing, blocking WSME and its dependencies).