[Openstack-devel] PyPy out of date on many arch

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Nov 23 08:51:50 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 01:30 AM, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Hi Thomas (2013.11.22_11:27:03_+0200)
>>> So indirectly, I need PyPy to be working, and migrated to testing.
>>> Though it has been stuck in Sid for 70 days.
>
> Yeah, sorry, I never got 2.1 through to testing, although it would have
> been simple enough to get it built on armel and kfreebsd-amd64.

I just tried building on a armhf (on a porterbox), and indeed, it "just
worked". So probably it will on your next upload.

> I've only just uploaded 2.2, and hope that within a couple of uploads we
> can get it through to testing. The builds are slow, so it will probably
> take several days.

Thanks! Let's hope it works.

> However, this isn't what's blocking simplejson. It doesn't depend on a
> version of pypy, newer than the one in testing. It's just FTBFSing
> because PyPy isn't available on all archs.

Well, have a look here:
http://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=simplejson

The problem is armhf & mipsel for me...

> There are big enough buildds for most archs. The problems are.
> * kfreebsd-amd64 - will build before migrating to testing
>   Used to have a big enough buildd, but doesn't any more. Christoph has
>   been doing manual builds for me, when it's built everywhere else.
> * armhf - not built
>   Debian doesn't have any big enough buildds. I can reliably build this
>   on my chromebook, but haven't discussed with the porters, if they'd
>   want it in the archive.

I tried on a porterbox and it works. It looks weird that a porterbox has
enough RAM, but we don't have big enough buildd. :/

> * mipsel - not built
>   No buildds big enough.

Then just remove pypy from mipsel (declare !mipsel). Or is it possible
to build manually and upload the binary only? What's the way in Debian?

> * mips - will build before migrating to testing
>   This one is touch and go. There are buildds *just* big enough.
>
>> As sgran pointed out on IRC, there's no mipsel machine with 4GB of RAM,
>
> Doesn't need to have 4GB of RAM - it's a 32bit arch, so 2GB would be
> fine, and 1.5GiB might even be enough. They will need at least 3GiB of
> virtual memory, though, so a reasonable amount of swap.
>
>> So I would suggest that you just declare PyPy not working on this
>> arch.
>
> How does that help anything?

Wouldn't this help migrating to Testing?