[Openstack-devel] PyPy out of date on many arch

Stefano Rivera stefanor at debian.org
Sat Nov 23 18:41:53 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas (2013.11.23_10:51:50_+0200)
> > However, this isn't what's blocking simplejson. It doesn't depend on a
> > version of pypy, newer than the one in testing. It's just FTBFSing
> > because PyPy isn't available on all archs.
>
> Well, have a look here:
> http://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=simplejson
>
> The problem is armhf & mipsel for me...

Yup, and nothing to do with PyPy 2.2 testing migration.

> > * armhf - not built
> >   Debian doesn't have any big enough buildds. I can reliably build this
> >   on my chromebook, but haven't discussed with the porters, if they'd
> >   want it in the archive.
>
> I tried on a porterbox and it works. It looks weird that a porterbox has
> enough RAM, but we don't have big enough buildd. :/

ipa.debian.net is a Calxeda node, with 4GiB of RAM. All our armhf
buildds are i.MX53 developer boards, with 1GiB of RAM, AFAIK.

Why? How does that help anything?

> Or is it possible to build manually and upload the binary only? What's
> the way in Debian?

It's possible, but frowned upon. I wouldn't do it without porter
approval, and in this case, don't have access to hardware, anyway.

> >> So I would suggest that you just declare PyPy not working on this
> >> arch.
> >
> > How does that help anything?
>
> Wouldn't this help migrating to Testing?

No it wouldn't. To migrate to testing you have to successfully build on
all the archs that your package already has in testing. Architectures
that always fail to build don't block migration.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/