[Openstack-devel] Comments regarding sphinxcontrib-programoutput_0.8-1_amd64.changes

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Oct 19 05:26:48 UTC 2013

On 10/19/2013 11:26 AM, Luke Faraone wrote:
> Dear maintainer,
>
> As stated previously, algorithmic generation of debian/copyright is strongly
> dispreferred, as it is difficult to review without context and the inclusion of
> an individual as a copyright holder requires a few more things than "had a
> commit against the project".

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that I was doing algorithmic
generation only. Yes, I'm using a this:

git log --format='%aN <%aE>' | awk '{arr[$0]++} END{for (i in arr){print
arr[i], i;}}' | sort -rn | cut -d' ' -f2-

to check who committed on the project. However, I do copy this manually
in the debian/copyright file, and check for it.

> Your thoroughness is of course appreciated; it would just be nice if some more
> explanation could be provided. For example, based purely on the package I have
> no way to determine what sort of contribution Jan-Marek Glogowski
> <jan-marek.glogowski at muenchen.de> made; they do not appear to be a copyright
> holder based on available evidence.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luke Faraone
> FTP Team

For stuff about OpenStack, it's very common that copyright holders
aren't explicitly written. I do trust more what's in the Git, than any
random file in the package. If you wish, I can remove Jan-Marek
Glogowski <jan-marek.glogowski at muenchen.de> from debian/copyright,
though I believe it will be less in line with the reality.

For this specific package, there exist mainly a single source file which
contains code: sphinxcontrib/programoutput.py (there's also the
__init__.py file containing a few lines, but let's not digress, as this
isn't relevant...). As Jan-Marek Glogowski contributed to it, I think
it's normal that he appears in the debian/copyright.

Your thoughts?