[Openstack-devel] python-dogpile.core_0.4.1-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Sep 9 15:14:03 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 09:55 PM, Michael Bayer wrote:
> Hi Thomas -
>
> the .js files are part of the Sphinx documentation build.  My Python
> dist files include the Sphinx docs built out, the .js files are copied
> by Sphinx to be part of the docs

If Sphinx is adding them at build time, why don't you remove it from
your archive, and let Sphinx build it?

> and I have done so for years, in all
> my projects including SQLAlchemy, Mako, Alembic, Dogpile Core, Dogpile
> Cache - SQLAlchemy is certainly present in many linux distros.

Unfortunately, FTP Masters will not accept this as argumentation. It's
not because there are defects in other packages who aren't respecting
the Debian policy that we should add more problems. Also, other distros
might have other policy, here we are only considering Debian. I have put
the FTP Masters in the loop, so you can discuss with them as well if you
like.

Also, I had a look, and there's no .js in the source package of Alembic
in Debian. Maybe the current package maintainer removed them? As for
sqlalchemy, it has non-minified version of the scripts, appart from
jquery. This is a bug, and I have filled a report. Mako in Debian also
has 3 minified jscript libs, searchindex, jquery and underscore. I have
also filled an release critical bug reports about it.

> Perhaps build maintainers for Linux modify the build to not include
> the sphinx docs?  not sure.   You can create a buildfile by checking
> out the appropriate source tag and saying "python setup.py dist",
> the sphinx docs aren't built automatically so they'd be omitted.

Well, best would be if you could remove the embedded javascript
libraries, and let sphinx-build do its work at build time. Do you think
that's possible? Otherwise, that's added work for the downstream
distributions, which I'm not sure every package maintainer will be
willing to do (I would simply remove the docs, and write about it in a
README.Debian so that our users know where to download it).